I’m still (still!!) trying to part with garments I almost never wear to make room for more useable items, but I’ve accepted that this is an ongoing process. After all, time’s passing and I want to get started on the next stage (actually sewing stuff) while I don’t have to rush because I have nothing to wear. I’ve tried to purge as much warm-weather clothes as possible and my plan is to use the fall/winter stuff I already have for now then ditch what I don’t love once it’s warm enough that I’m not wearing them frequently.
Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe
- MAKE: Knee-length Hollyburn in black cotton broadcloth or poplin; white lining with white eyelet ruffle (longer than overskirt); contour waistband; elastic in back of waistband
- MAKE: Long petticoat skirt in black lawn or voile with deep ruffle, gathered at waist with back elastic
- IN PROCESS: Brown midi petticoat skirt–need to shorten the skirt I have and fix waistband (add lining? add pockets?)
- IN PROCESS: Blue denim Hollyburn–need to take in waistband (okay, this color isn’t technically in my palette, but I’m considering it a neutral denim)
- IN PROCESS: Black floral circle skirt with attached black eyelet petticoat–need to replace waistband
- MAKE: Peplum top in black ponte with Nevermore collar (Simplicity 1699 view B)
- MAKE: Sweetheart t-shirt in white jersey (from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual)
- MAKE: Sweetheart t-shirt in black jersey (assuming this pattern works for me)
- MAKE: Peplum top from Lady Skater in cream? or cream floral?
- MAKE: Another cream or green top?
- HAVE: Black & white polka dot Bronte top
- HAVE: Gray & black horses print Bronte top
- IN PROCESS: Black tunic top from Weekender Dress pattern
- IN PROCESS: Black gauze top–need to add rows of elastic to waist
- HAVE: Gray floral Lady Skater
- HAVE: Black and gray Weekender Dress
- HAVE: Green and pink floral Lady Skater
- HAVE: Green knee-length dress with neck ties (purchased)
- MAKE: Long-sleeved bolero in gray (or black?) linen or laceweight sweater knit or lightweight sweatshirt fleece (Butterick 5232 [out of print, sorry!])
- HAVE: Olive military jacket (purchased, but need to fix closures)
- HAVE: Gray jersey elbow-length cardigan w/ ruffles (purchased)
- HAVE: Black and cream lightweight sweater knit cardigan (purchased)
So that’s 22 pieces, 18 of which I will have made! I already have the patterns I need, so I feel pretty confident that I’ll be making useful items (the only thing I haven’t made up before is the Sweetheart t-shirt).
My most urgent need is for white and cream tops, and then skirts (I’m a little sad there are no dresses* in my queue, but the separates will be more useful). I’ve ordered swatches of various cotton knits and lightweight wovens to figure out what fabrics will work for the items on my to-make list. While I’m waiting for those, I suppose I should really start tackling the in-process items–most of these are refashions or fixes of things I’ve already made to make them a bit more useful.
The only things on my to-purchase list are socks (probably some lightweight knee-highs) and another pair of sandals.
I hope to have all these completed in the next couple of months so that I’m wearing them when it’s warm (and getting into hellishly hot). Then I’ll revisit the Wardrobe Architect exercises (and possibly do another wardrobe purge) in July so I can start planning and sewing for fall and winter. (However, although I call this the “spring/summer” capsule wardrobe, I do fully intend to wear many of these in fall/winter, so I won’t end up with two entirely discrete capsule wardrobes. At the moment, I anticipate making long-sleeve t-shirts, turtlenecks, and wool dresses.)
*Totally unrelated: I’m seriously considering doing the Weekend Dressmaking Intensive at Workroom Social in June. It’s a little pricey for this penny-pincher, but I could really use some fitting help!