I made this ages ago, but between Pinewoods and madly sewing for the Nahant Vintage Dance Weekend (if you follow me on Instagram, you’ll have seen some sneak peeks of those costumes in the past few days) I haven’t had a minute to post about it. And it’ll be a quick minute!
This started out based on the Knit Sweetheart T in Gertie Sews Vintage Casual, but I made a bunch of changes. What I’m most happy with is the fit! I’m so glad I lowered the pleats in the center bust–it looks much better than my first attempt.
Washed-out photo so you can see those pleats.
So here’s what I changed:
- Lowered the front neckline and pleats
- Narrowed the shoulders
- Cropped it just above the natural waist and finished the hem with a wide band (looks much cleaner than turning under for me since I can’t do stretch stitches, coverstitch, or twin needle finishes)
- Replaced the sleeves with flutter sleeves (following this tutorial); flutter sleeves are hemmed with the narrow hem on my serger
I think for the next one I will raise the neckline and lower the waist by just a smidge (1/4 inch or so), but overall I’m very pleased with how this came out and think it’s quite flattering. I’d like to do a similar one with long sleeves and a higher neckline in a sweater knit for the fall. (I believe the fabric for this was interlock? I don’t remember, sorry! It’s sort of a midweight knit with decent body, as you can see in the sleeves.)
Speaking of the seasons, here’s my updated spring/summer capsule wardrobe. There’s one item I’ve completed but might not blog about (the gauze skirt…it’s just not that interesting and didn’t turn out great) and two I think I’ll move to the fall plan (jean jacket and jersey maxi skirt). Of course, since we’re hitting 90 degrees, I’m fantasizing about what I want to make in tweed and corduroy once I finish this latest costuming push….
Spring/Summer Capsule Wardrobe
- Gray floral Lady Skater
- Green dress (purchased)
- Cream floral Lady Skater
- Calico Giselle
- Black/gray calico Simplicity 1080 View A
- Jersey maxi skirt (McCall’s 6608 View D) in black–MOVE TO FALL
- Black gauze petticoat skirt with ruffle (unblogged, but made)
- White petticoat skirt
- Brown midi petticoat skirt
- Jean Hollyburn
- Nevermore skirt
- Wrap top (Butterick 6285)
- Cropped black T-shirt
- Gray rose peasant top
- Black Weekender tunic