This skirt was not in my plans, but when I came across this amazing fabric (Wicked Eve – Dark Tree Branches from Timeless Treasures) I knew I had to do something with it! (This is the one with that skull selvage I posted to Instagram.) I didn’t use a pattern–just drafted a front and two back pieces with a total waist size about twice my waist measurement, flared it at the bottom as much as possible (not much with 45-in fabric, haha), and gathered it to a narrow waistband.
Of course, it has pockets!
(Isn’t Bailey so helpful in these pics??)
It closes with an invisible zip in the center back and the bottom is trimmed with some black eyelet trim from my stash. Fun thing I learned for this project: thread belt loops to hold my grosgrain ribbon belt in place (I followed this tutorial–super easy!).
(Of course, my hand is covering the belt loop in this photo…sorry! It’s really dark in here and the belt loop probably wouldn’t have shown up anyway.)
Initially, I wanted to make this skirt shorter with a ruffle at the bottom, but I decided to stick to simplicity to showcase the print (plus, I was a bit worried about the stiffness of the fabric). Now that it’s made up, I think it would’ve worked perfectly well as a Hollyburn, too (though I would redraft it without the center front seam–the print is busy enough that I don’t think there’s any need for matching, but I just don’t like a center front seam if I can avoid it).
(Cats: again, so helpful.)
I’d also originally planned to line the skirt with some poly lining material and decided not to since it’ll be more comfortable without it in the summer/spring (and I can still wear it with tights and a slip in the fall/winter). I felt very summer-goth for our unseasonably warm weather in my new skirt and cotton gauze peasant blouse. Plus, now I can use that lining fabric I bought for the tweed wool skirt that IS in my sewing plans….