Zéphyr Skater Dress

As much as I love the Lady Skater pattern, I’m finding myself preferring princess seams on bodices so the Zéphyr Dress from Deer&Doe was a good pattern to try out. The bodice does indeed fit nicely thanks to the four princess seams. I didn’t even need to shorten it! I followed the pattern exactly except to grade between sizes like I usually do, and I’m pretty happy with how it looks. But this also means no pockets. (What can I say? I was lazy the day I made it. . . .)
 1CC2E7B2-0D0F-4414-B882-3E6D0250BD44
I did have a couple of issues with the pattern. One is that the arm bands are really, really short (hence all the wrinkling around the armscyes–I had to stretch the bands a lot to get them on). I googled a bit to see if this was a problem other people had (maybe an error?) and the only mention I found was that one person said they seemed short but she drafts her own bands anyway. If I make this again without sleeves, I’ll definitely do the same.
Speaking of that . . . I don’t know why I thought I would be happy with a sleeveless dress. I guess I’m spoiled by all the patterns with various options, because it’s kind of disappointing to have no sleeve options at all (and no pockets–come on, guys!). The paper pattern and instructions are quite lovely, but if I make another one I’m definitely going to try to add sleeves. (Maybe redrafting the armscyes based on the Lady Skater pattern and using those sleeves might work?)
 93017331-4FEF-449B-A390-FF924230592B
The fabric is the other mystery fabric in that order I mentioned in my last post. I asked the retailer which one they thought it was, and they said this was probably the Soft Wicking Jersey. Remember, this is the one that’s a bit less smooth and had a rubbery smell (which has finally mostly faded after the third wash!). I definitely prefer the other fabric (Interloc Wicking), though both do dry quickly, are similar weights, and do not require hemming. Thanks for the help, The Rain Shed!
Advertisements

Activewear Skort

Hurray, finally I made something from an activewear pattern that I actually like! This is the Jalie 3670 Loulouxe Skort. I made the version with leg bands and two pockets (obviously!).

IMG_9820

I added about 3 inches to the skirt length (ha) and flared the front skirt panel a bit more, but otherwise followed the straight size for my hips. And it’s very comfortable!

I’m not sure exactly which fabric this is since I bought two cuts of black activewear knit in the same order and they weren’t labeled when they arrived. I wish I knew because I like this fabric a lot so far, but the other one still smells faintly of rubber, even after washing twice. (I used that one for a dress; will post about that soon.) Otherwise, they are a similar weight and conveniently don’t curl, so I didn’t have to hem either garment (hurray!). UPDATE: I contacted the retailer and they said they think this one is their Interloc Wicking item #4325. At that price, I’ll definitely try ordering again!

IMG_9840

Linen/Cotton Tunic

The best thing about this tunic is that it finally gave me a chance to use the scraps of black-and-white rose print quilting cotton I’ve been hoarding for years! I loved that print and never could find it again, and all I had left were a few pieces that were too small for most things. Well, they worked out great in this!

IMG_9754

The gray fabric and contrast black are a linen/cotton blend–it’s a little coarse-feeling, but I’m hoping it softens up in the wash.

IMG_9753

The pattern is the Torii Tunic from Serendipity Studio. I found it yielded a pretty loose fit on me (in contrast to the pattern photos) when I made up my usual size and I ended up using 1-inch seams on the sides to get a closer fit (the pattern uses 1/2-inch seam allowance). It’s still a bit loose, but that’s what I wanted–figured it would be something comfy yet protective for hot summer days.

Pink Activewear Top

Hmph. This fabric‘s color is listed as “orchid” and on my screen it sure looked like a lovely pale lavender (I mean…I don’t know what colors orchids come in!). So it was a bit of a surprise when it arrived! It’s definitely pink, very pink. Luckily, I’d just snagged one yard on a whim (in an ongoing quest for quick-drying, cool activewear), so I shrugged and made something with it anyway.

This started with with good old McCall’s M7349, View B, but cut short. I lowered the front neckline a bit into a gentle V and added some pockets in the side front panels. They’re kind of weird and small, but also kind of fun.

Well, I’d say this is fairly flattering on me, though I don’t love the color. I’ve worn it for dance a couple of times and it does dry quickly, but the true test will come in a few months at camp. I have a few more yards of activewear knits for more items in a more “me” color (black, haha), so hopefully I’ll have some stuff I’m more enamored of in the near future….

IMG_9697