I wasn’t sure whether to post this since I wasn’t entirely happy with the finished dress. However, it’s on my list and I’m not planning to make another one! I’ve also worn it once and . . . it was pretty comfy. So while I was doubtful at first, only time will tell whether this becomes a cold-weather staple.
Anyway, this is McCall’s M6957, View D without the belt (aka the “black knit dress” in my fall/winter capsule wardrobe). I think the fabric was interlock? Its not super-stretchy, and it’s relatively heavy weight (which may be the origin of some problems I had with it). I also think the recovery isn’t so great, hrm.
I picked a size based on my high bust and then I still had to take about 4(!!) inches off the bodice, PLUS I had to pinch in some of the center back seam at the nape of the neck. Yet the neckline was still too wide for me! So rather than turning it under per the pattern’s instructions, I added a neck band. But it’s still too wide. ARGH.
The shape is also just not as flared as I’d prefer in the skirt. Honestly, I only picked this pattern because I wanted a fit-and-flare knit dress that didn’t have a waist seam. But I think I should’ve just stuck with my beloved Lady Skater.
Oh, well. To get me a little more excited about it, I added some cream lace on the neck and sleeves. As usual, the sleeves are a little short, though! Sigh.
In non-WA news, I made a mock-up of my November ballgown bodice recently . . . and it did not look good (pointy-boob city!). Fortunately, I have at least two other modern ballgown patterns that I’ve successfully made in the past, so I may end up just going with one of those.
I did finally locate the perfect sweatshirt fleece for my hoodie, though! And I’ve suddenly decided I really need to make a carryon tote bag and matching toiletries bag (I can’t find my usual carryon bag and I have two trips coming up). Turns out the materials (interfacing and batting) are rather pricy, though. So I’m still debating them.
Fall/Winter Capsule Wardrobe
- Gray floral Lady Skater (short sleeve)
- Black Weekender dress (short sleeve)
- Green purchased dress (short sleeve)
- Gray wool Giselle (3/4 sleeve)
- Black knit dress (long sleeve)
- Red purchased dress (long sleeve)
- Brown tweed Hollyburn
- Black wool Walking Skirt (need to fix waistband)
- Corduroy Ginger
- Jean Hollyburn
- Nevermore skirt
- Green plaid wool skirt (need to add lining)
- Plain black T-shirt (short sleeve)
- White sweetheart T-shirt (short sleeve)
- Gray cropped V-neck (elbow-length)
- Black wrap top (elbow-length)
- Cream turtleneck (long sleeve)
- Black cameo Bronte (long sleeve)
- Black Weekender tunic (long sleeve)
- Black corduroy blazer
- Pumpkin corduroy blazer
- Black fleece zip-up hoodie
- Bottle green wool sweater
- Black or gray wool sweater?
- Heavy black wool coat
- Tights & socks
- Black boots
- Brown oxfords
- Brown satchel
- Black She Who Sews Dottie bag
- Black leather gloves
- Brown leather gloves